A couple of days ago i took all the galleries down because of some technical problems i could not get sorted out. Galleries acted all weird, like showing no images in albums or not displaying thumbnails inside a gallery. I tried troubelshooting this and, eventually, tracked it down to a problem with the OPCode cache causing all sorts of havoc on how the galleries work. No matter what i configured for the OPCode cache settings, the galleries just didn’t work and i got kinda annoyed about that to the point where i decided to take all the galleries down and host images externally (was thinking about 500px.com and Flickr.com)
I put 500px.com and Flickr.com through their paces to see if what i had in mind would work but it didn’t. For just hosting a set of images both services are perfectly fine but when it comes to embedding images in an album-like manner in WordPress they fall short of my expectations. After giving several plugins a try and not being happy with them i went back looking at what is causing the problems between the OPCode cache and the gallery i used on this site. Put in a nutshell it was a problem with caching strings properly which is now sorted and the galleries appear to be working fine again after the OPcode cache was modified to avoid that caching issue.